How can we help you?

Gilbert Quinones

Land Development Manager

678-512-3284 11360 Lakefield Drive
Johns Creek, GA 30097

The City of Johns Creek helps to minimize potential flooding by addressing the impact of new development and redevelopment on stormwater, and by regulating floodplain development. Floodplain regulations and development restrictions can greatly reduce future flooding impacts, preserve greenspace and habitat, control floodwaters, and protect water quality.

Did You Know: A floodplain is a nearly flat plain along the course of a stream or river that is naturally subject to flooding. Approximately six percent of Johns Creek is located within a regulated floodplain, otherwise known as a Special Flood Hazard Area.

See if your property is located in a floodplain

Flood Hazard Areas

Johns Creek lies within the Upper Chattahoochee Watershed and the Chattahoochee River, Autrey Mill Creek, Big Creek, Cauley Creek, and Johns Creek are all sources of possible flooding in this watershed.

Special Flood Hazard Area, commonly referred to as the “100-year floodplain,” flood elevations have a one percent chance of being equaled or exceeded each year. However, that “100-year flood” could occur more than once in a relatively short period of time, not necessarily just once every 100 years.

For example, in late 2009, the Chattahoochee River rose to its highest levels since Buford Dam was built in 1956, with some areas over the 1 percent annual chance elevation (100-year flood), and other areas even exceeding the .02 percent chance elevation (500-year flood).

Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is required for buildings located within a Special Flood Hazard Area. Please not that a typical homeowners insurance policy does not cover damage or losses due to flooding. 

The City participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, which makes flood insurance available for purchase to all property owners. Retrofitting your home (elevating it so floodwaters do not enter; constructing barriers between your home and floodwaters; and wet and dry flood proofing) can help to protect your property against flood damage.

Floodplain Development Permit Required

Prior to purchasing, building or altering a property in the floodplain, contact the City’s Community Development Department. Development in the floodplain if not guaranteed, and if development is possible, it requires a local permit.

If your residential or commercial property is located in the floodplain and you are seeking to modify or repair an existing structure/building, the National Flood Insurance Program requires that the same requirements for a new building is applied, if the cost of reconstruction due to damage, rehabilitation, addition or other improvements exceeds 50 percent of the building’s market value.

Helpful Links