How can we help you?

Sal Gaeta

Chief Building Official

678-512-3297 11360 Lakefield Drive
Johns Creek, GA 30097

What is a building permit?

A permit is legal permission to perform work that is governed by Georgia State Minimum Building Codes for construction and City of Johns Creek regulations.

When is a permit required?

In the City of Johns Creek, a permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure. A permit is required to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by adopted State Minimum Building Codes. There are some exceptions. Click on Do I Need a Permit?  to see a list.

Permits must be obtained prior to the start of any work.

What if you do not get a permit?

If a permit is required and not obtained prior to the start of work, you have violated City of Johns Creek regulations and may be subject to Stop Work Orders, significant fines, and other costly penalties. Failure to obtain a permit may also result in demolition of unauthorized construction if it does not meet code.

Who may apply for a permit?

Permits are issued to professional contractors who must register their credentials on the Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal (see Contractor Registration).

Contractors may designate an Authorized Permit Agent solely to apply for permits under their license, but the contractor is responsible for the project, including providing required plans and documents, supervision of work, and passing required inspections. A notarized Authorized Permit Agent Affidavit (See Building Forms) must be provided when applying for a permit.

Can I act as my own General Contractor?

Georgia State law allows homeowners to act as general contractor themselves under specific circumstances. Proof of ownership and other requirements must be met. The homeowner-contractor is personally responsible for all of the work performed under the permit. Anyone hired to do work that requires a State license, such as electrical or plumbing work, must be licensed, and must obtain their own trade sub-permits. A notarized Homeowner-Contractor Affidavit is required (See Building Forms). Please consult with the Building Official to learn more about what’s involved with acting as contractor yourself.

Homeowners are strongly advised not to take on projects beyond their ability to directly supervise the work and to ensure compliance with the building code and City regulations.

Which permits may I apply for online?

All permit applications and documents are submitted (uploaded) through the Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal.  You must first create a Portal User Account.  Contractors must register their professional credentials on the portal before applying for a permit.

Which projects require plan reviews?

A majority of projects require the submission of construction plans, drawings, diagrams, and specifications to describe and illustrate the full nature, complexity, and scope of work. Architectural and Structural drawings are the language of the construction industry.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Building permit fees are based on the valuation of the project, in accordance with the adopted schedule of fees.

When do I pay my permit fees?

After a permit application is submitted, the applicant receives an invoice by email.  Invoices may be paid on the Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal.  For permits requiring plan review, all fees must be paid before the plans are routed for review.

If plan corrections are required before approval, re-submittal fees may be due when the corrections are submitted. Fees are typically charged for the third and subsequent plan reviews.

Re-inspection fees for failed inspections are due before the next inspection may be scheduled.

Do permits expire?

Permit applications not issued within 180 days of the initial application date are deemed “Abandoned” per City Code Sec. 105- 52(a)(5).

Issued permits are valid for 180 days. Once issued, a permit stays active as long as the work is ongoing. If the work does not start (defined as passing a building inspection) or if work ceases for 180 days (no inspections have passed in the last 180 days), the permit becomes “Invaild” per City Code Sec.105-52(f)(1). Extensions and Permit Renewals may be allowed by the Building Official for a short period of time when requested in writing and with justifiable cause demonstrated.

The permit holder may submit an application showing just cause for an extension or renewal. If granted, additional permit fees must be paid before the permit is re-issued.

Are inspections required?

All building and trade permits require inspections by a City of Johns Creek Building Inspector to ensure code compliance. The specific inspections required are determined based on the scope and nature of the work.

Work should not be covered up or proceed until the prerequisite inspections pass. There are re- inspection fees for failed inspections; the fees must be paid prior to scheduling the next inspection.

How do I schedule the required inspections?

Request inspections on the Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal.  Requests made by 4:00 p.m. on a business day are scheduled for the next business day.

For projects with multiple trades, the General Contractor requests combination rough and final inspections. Inspections cannot be scheduled when the required trade permits have not been obtained. The General Contractor schedules all inspections. Subcontractors do not schedule inspections for their trade work.


What codes are enforced?

The City has adopted the State of Georgia minimum mandated codes with Georgia amendments (see list of State Building Codes currently in effect). Additional City codes, local amendments, Federal, State, and Fulton County laws and regulations may apply.