*Update (April 2016):
Public information meetings regarding potential Barnwell Road corridor improvements set for May 3 & May 11. Read more
Consultants are doing design work on road improvements on parts of Barnwell Road near Holcomb Bridge Road and at the curve at Jones Bridge Road. They are also coming up with alternatives for other parts of the road to improve traffic flow, improve sight distances, and enhance safety for motorists and pedestrians. The City Council will make the final decision about which projects move forward.
Barnwell Road is a 2.5-mile, two-lane road between Holcomb Bridge and Jones Bridge roads with eight sudvisions, a shopping center, the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, Rivermont park, Barnwell Elmentary School and Rivermont Country Club.
- Substandard narrow lanes, increasing the chances of head-on collisions
- Curves and steep terrain limit drivers’ ability to see oncoming vehicles in many places.
- No sidewalks and trails.
- Motorists make illegal turns in the Barnwell Road driveway for the Kroger Shopping Center at the Holcomb Bridge intersection.
- Widen lanes from 9 to 11 feet. Status: More public input planned.
- Add roundabouts at Niblick Drive, Glen Ferry Drive and Rivermont Parkway. After receiving public comment, roundabouts at Barnwell Elementary School and Old Southwick Pass were removed. Status: More public input planned.
- Add left-turn lanes onto Sandy Lane Drive, Olde Clubs Drive, Old Southwick Pass, North Peak Drive, and Barnwell Elementary School. Status: More public input planned.
- Build a 10-foot-wide pedestrian trail on the western side of Barnwell Road from Holcomb Bridge Road to Barnwell Elementary School. Status: More public input planned.
- Construct a pedestrian bridge parallel to an existing vehicle bridge over Hogan Creek. Status: More public input planned.
- Add 4- to 6-foot bicycle lanes in each direction along Barnwell Road. Status: More public input planned.
- Raise Barnwell Road and add turn lanes near Holcomb Bridge Road; add a raise median on Barnwell Road to prevent cars from making illegal left turns in the Barnwell Road entrance to the Kroger Shopping Center. Status: More public input planned.