The latest billboard Johns Creek was required by court decision to allow is now under construction on the west side of Medlock Bridge Road at Abbotts Bridge Road.
While the Johns Creek City Council opposes billboards anywhere within Johns Creek, the Georgia Supreme Court’s ruling against a ban on billboards led to a negotiated settlement allowing up to 10 billboards in the city.
Prior to Johns Creek becoming a city, several billboard companies applied to Fulton County for 75 billboard sign permits. Fulton County denied the applications and the billboard companies sued. Johns Creek joined the lawsuit after it became a city. The lawsuit was resolved by the Georgia Supreme Court with the finding that the Fulton County sign ordinance was unconstitutional and that the billboard companies were entitled to erect up to 75 billboards, including 31 billboards at 27 locations within Johns Creek.
In order to mitigate the impact of 31 billboards, Johns Creek negotiated an agreement with the billboard companies to erect only 10 billboards in 10 locations. The Georgia Supreme Court is the final authority on the matter and Johns Creek could not appeal its ruling to any other court. Therefore, having exhausted its appeal options, Johns Creek has no other choice but to adhere to the Georgia Supreme Court's ruling allowing the billboards.
In compliance with this settlement agreement, the latest billboard under construction marks 8 of 10 that are permitted. As of Feb. 8, 2018, 7 of the 10 allowable billboards have already been erected in the following locations:
- 11701 Fox Road – LED
- 8455 Holcomb Bridge Road – LED
- 8465 Holcomb Bridge Road – Static
- 6375 McGinnis Ferry Road – LED
- 10875 State Bridge Road – LED
- 9730/9780 Medlock Bridge Road- LED
- McGinnis Ferry Road at Bell Road. - LED
The two remaining billboards can be erected in five potential locations:
- West side of State Bridge Road from Kimball Bridge to Morton
- East side of State Bridge Road from Kimball Bridge to Morton
- North side of State Bridge Road near Ga. 141/Medlock Bridge Road
- East side of Medlock Bridge at Abbotts Bridge
- McGinnis Ferry Road