HomeQuickLinks ­ FAQs ­ Land Development FAQs

Land Development FAQs

When is a Land Disturbance Permit (LDP) required?
Generally a Land Disturbance Permit is required when 1,000 or more square feet of ground disturbance is proposed. This can include grading, clearing, paving, grubbing, or any other activity that meets the definition of land disturbing activity under Article IV of the City of Johns Creek Development regulations.

On a case by case basis, a Land Disturbance Permit may be required for ground disturbance under 1,000 square feet when the disturbance will result in the need for Erosion Control BMPs due to possible damage to adjoining property, or result in changes to topography and storm water drainage patterns.
The City requires that any land disturbing construction comply with the Georgia Stormwater Management Manual, updated and approved by the State in 2016, and the 2016 Edition of the Manual for Erosion and Sediment Control in Georgia.
Please contact the Land Development division at 678-512-3200 to determine if your project requires a permit.

What are the type of permits issued by the City of Johns Creek?

  • Land Disturbance / Minor Land Disturbance Permits
  • Retaining Wall Permits
  • Building Permits:
    • Single Family
    • Duplex
    •  Multi-Family
    • Swimming Pool Permits
    • Demolition Permits
    • Fence Permits
    • Addition Permit (Home, Patios, Decks, Porches, etc.)
    • Single Family Residential Model Home Permit
  • Tree Removal Application
What is the review process for getting a LDP or Final Plat Approval?
Applications and civil construction drawings / plats can be submitted between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The submittal deadline is Tuesday by 11 a.m. to receive plan review comments or approval by Wednesday of the following week. Once all review comments have been addressed, a LDP is issued or final plat approved.

What is a Minor Plat?
A subdivision of 3 lots or less, or a recombination of 2 or more lots, qualifies as a Minor Plat. These plats do not involve the extension of utilities, new roads or other city facilities. Minor Plats follow the same review process as mentioned above.

How many sets of plans / plats do I need to submit for review?
  • LDP:  7 sets of civil drawings and 2 copies of the hydrology study;
  • Final Plats / As-Builts:  7 sets of plats, 4 sets of stormwater system as-builts, and 2 sets each of Fulton County approved water and sanitary sewer as-builts;
  • Minor Plats:  4 sets.
Please refer to the LDP, Final Plat / As-Built Application & Checklist, and Minor Plat Application & Checklist forms.

What needs to be included on the plans / plats / as-builts?
For a complete list of all plan / plat requirements, please refer to the LDP, Final Plat / As-Built Application & Checklist, and Minor Plat Application & Checklist forms.

Is the City of Johns Creek a Local Issuing Authority (LIA)?
Yes, the City is a Local Issuing Authority and has been certified by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD). As such, the city can issue LDPs, charge permit fees, and enforce an erosion and sediment control ordinance.

In addition to existing review and permit fees, the City charges a $40 per acre land disturbance fee for all projects disturbing 1 or more acres. EPD collects another $40 per disturbed acre as well as Notice of Intent for coverage under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit.

Who reviews projects for Erosion & Sediment Control compliance?
The City reviews projects for compliance with the Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance as part of the LDP plan review process.

How much do reviews and permits cost?
The review fee for LDPs is $350 plus $20 per lot or acre depending on the type of project. The Final Plat review fee is $350 plus $5 per lot. LDP permit fees are assessed by determining the project valuation for clearing, installation of infrastructure, inspections, NPDES fees, scanning, and administrative fees. Please refer to the fee schedule in the LDP Application & Checklists.

Do I need a permit to remove a tree on my property?
The City of Johns Creek does not issue tree removal permits however permission is required in some areas. Tree removal is allowed unless the trees are located in a zoning buffer, stream buffer, Chattahoochee River Corridor, or other protected area. However, if you are applying for a building permit or land disturbance permit then the requirements in the Tree Preservation Ordinance must be satisfied.

For guidance, please contact the Department of Community Development by submitting a Tree Removal Permission Form prior to removing any trees.

If you live in an HOA, you should also check your HOA guidelines for any tree removal restrictions they might impose.

What are the stream buffer rules in the City of Johns Creek?
All streams, creeks, lakes, ponds, springs and other natural waters have a 50 foot undisturbed buffer plus an additional 25 foot setback where all impervious surfaces are prohibited. No land disturbing activity can occur within the 50 foot buffer. (See Water Features Map) Please call the Land Development Division at 678-512-3200 with questions regarding stream buffer rules.

How do I develop or build in the Chattahoochee River Corridor?
The City of Johns Creek enforces the Metropolitan River Protection Act, which recognizes the Chattahoochee River Corridor extends 2,000 feet from the banks of the river. Both clearing and the creation of impervious surfaces are restricted within the corridor based on vulnerability categories.

New developments must obtain a Chattahoochee River Corridor Certificate through the Atlanta Regional Commission prior to submittal of construction documents.

New homes and additions within the Chattahoochee River Corridor must submit site plans showing vulnerability categories and existing, proposed, and allowable clearing and impervious surfaces.

What types of inspections are conducted on development projects?
Land Development Inspectors perform both random and scheduled site inspections:  pre-construction meeting / initial inspection, random erosion and sediment control site inspections, infrastructure and final site inspections.