March 13, 2019
Johns Creek property owners have until April 1 to apply for a 2019 homestead exemption. Homeowners only need to apply if:
- you purchased a new home in 2018 or
- you made changes to your deed or
- you believe you may qualify for a special exemption for the first time
Several new homestead exemptions were approved by voters in November 2018. Most of the exemptions will apply automatically to existing homeowners.
There is a new exemption for senior residents who are age 65+. This exemption increases the basic homestead exemption from $30,000 to $50,000 for the Fulton County portion of property taxes and does not have income restrictions. The exemption will be automatically applied to any property owners who already have a 65+ senior homestead exemption in place. Any property owner who does not currently have an age 65+ exemption is encouraged to apply. All seniors are encouraged to reach out to the Tax Assessors Office for assistance in identifying the exemption most beneficial to their situation.
To qualify for any exemption, you must own and occupy the property as your primary residence as of January 1, 2019 and be a permanent legal resident of Fulton County. You also are required to present a valid Georgia photo identification and provide a current copy of your Fulton County vehicle registration(s).
Fulton County has invested in technology to make it easier for property owners to apply for homestead exemptions and handle other transactions online. To apply online, visit www.fultonassessor.org
and access the SmartFile system on the Online Services page. You can also obtain more information about the various exemptions available on the Homestead page of the website.
If you prefer to file for homestead exemption manually, an application can also be accessed on the Homestead page. The application can be mailed to the main office, or you can apply in person at one of the Homestead Exemption offices (addresses below).
- Fulton County Board of Assessors, Peachtree Center, North Tower, 235 Peachtree Street, Suite 1100, Atlanta, GA 30303 (Main Office)
- Fulton County Government Center, 141 Pryor Street, SW, Suite 1018, Atlanta, GA 30303
- Fulton County Customer Service Center at Maxwell Road, 11575 Maxwell Road, Alpharetta, GA 30022
- North Fulton Service Center, 7741 Roswell Road, NE, Suite 210, Atlanta, GA 30350
- South Fulton Service Center, 5600 Stonewall Tell Road, Suite 224, College Park, GA 30349
For additional information on homestead exemptions, contact the Fulton County Homestead Call Center at 404-612-6440, ext. 4